Ivan Returns!

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Ivan Returns!

Post by Kat »

Ivan has returned to south Florida!.
It probably spawned a tornado which was captured on home video, around Vero Beach(?)
It will pass over south Florida and move into the Gulf where it may re-organize!
It started raining here last night and has just ended.

Storm Jeanne is fooling around out in the Atlantic, possibly looping south after it's northerly turn.
If it loops south it may then be open to going anywhere. Right now there is the high from Ivan keeping it from going north which it wants to do, so it is spinning, not going much of anywhere as of now. Jeanne will probably not be any threat, eventually going north and out of range of the US.

Karl is going to go north, and is not a threat.

Lisa is the next storm they are watching. It made hurricane status today. It is very small in size right now.

-Your weather-Kat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks Kat, good info.

I was hoping "L" would be for Lizzie. Was there ever a "Lizzie"?
diana

Post by diana »

Good question! I tried to find out something about this and found a simple site designed for kids that shows the Atlantic, Pacific and 'Retired' names for Hurricanes. Apparently:
"The World Meteorological Organization uses six lists in rotation. The same lists are reused every six years. The only time a new name is added is if a hurricane is very deadly or costly. Then the name is retired and a new name is chosen."

The "L" names are: Lili, Larry, Lisa, Lee, Leslie,and Lorenzo. (Atlantic)

Lowell, Linda, Lester, Lidia [sic], Lane, and Lorena (Pacific)

Luis and Lenny (Retired)

So, no Lizzie here.

http://www.fema.gov/kids/hunames.htm
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

All very confusing. Last I heard Ivan was bashing the heck out of Canada's east coast & everyone down south is now worried about Lisa. When will it end, I wonder?
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Gary

Post by Gary »

I was reading that scientists have discovered that there is roughly a 40 year cycle in the pattern of the number and severity of hurricanes. The last cycle ended in approximately 1965-6. Recall that one of the worst hurricanes on record fits into this cycle as the hurricane known only as the Florida hurricane which took place in the 1920's.

The Galveston hurricane in 1900 shows that we should never depend too much on theoretical models of storm behavior. Nevertheless, this years season seems like a nightmare for hurricanes.

Gary
Susan

Post by Susan »

Yes, I recall hearing something about that, that Florida was in for 30 more years of these types of hurricanes, it was something along those lines. Hopefully all of you will be safe that are in those areas along the eastern coast! :shock:
Kat

Re: Ivan Returns!

Post by Kat »

Kat @ Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:06 pm wrote: Lisa is the next storm they are watching. It made hurricane status today. It is very small in size right now.-Your weather-Kat
They say now Lisa is a Tropical Storm at 60 m.p.h. winds gusting to 70.
Karl may eat her up, or pave the way...

It's pouring rain here and very windy in gusts.

Thanks for the info, Diana as to names!

A modern benefit is that these storms can be tracked for 3 days prior to landfall pretty effeciently, 5 days less accurately.
However, I always feel bad when I see a story on the 1900 Galveston storm, as they had no notice, per se.
I suppose they had ships come in with a warning.
Did they use bouys or something back then?
I mean- it's better to know than not know- but it still is agonizing and anxienty-producing. People still have their boards up on their windows.
We are going thru post-traumatic stress syndrome.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I am not complaining, but IVAN knocked my power out for 2 hours tonight. :roll:
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

does this next one hit my beloved miami?

i can't imagine what you've been through. it's been bad enough for me.

last thursday was a dead-tree obstacle course trying to get home. enough if enough -- and trying to WORK at the same time!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Were you out of power for any length of time?

They are calling this Tropical Storm Ivan now, or Tropical Depression. They said they thought the name might be retired but I guess while it still lives, it will be some kind of Ivan!