The Sale at Frank E. Sargent's

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

The Sale at Frank E. Sargent's

Post by Shelley »

The Herald came out daily at 3 and 5 p.m. This, I was told, was to catch the mill workers changing shifts to sell more copies on the way home.
Sargent's was running a month long end of summer clearance, as were many stores. The ad we are most concerned with is the one featuring the cheap sale of dress goods and when that appeared. Here is the front page of the Herald, 3 p.m. edition for THURSDAY, August 4th

Here is the ad in the Fall River Daily Evening News, also for the same day, Thursday. This was a late afternoon paper. Len Rebello felt this was the most likely paper Andrew would have had in the house, with the Journal being one we know he received in the morning.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Fall River Daily Evening News Wed. August 3

Front page FR Herald for Wed. August 3
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Tuesday, FR Daily evening news
Richard

Post by Richard »

I am going to have one!!
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Fall River Evening Daily News Monday Aug 1

Front page Herald July 30th announcing the month-long August sale
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

So the pattern is to advertise tomorrow's featured items in the paper the day before to drum up fresh business for the next day. Makes sense. Still, we are faced with the problem of how did Lizzie know about the dress goods on Thursday morning? She must have seen a flyer down town, or heard about it. If so- when?
The article below was in the Wednesday afternoon edition of the FR Herald. It is one of two interestingly "connected" ideas in my mind. The second article topic I have been working on for a very long time, and I think it will have to be a story for the Hatchet, but this one below mentions something we have heard before- namely Wednesday NIGHT to Alice Russell. It may be merely a coincidence- or not. The whole article is discussing infant mortality due to bad or tainted milk in the summer months and as a warning to mothers to nurse their babies. Abby suggested baker's bread to Dr. Bowen that morning. This article came out that afternoon, and Wednesday night milk is now the culprit.

Allen

Post by Allen »

Actually what she said she had heard were poisonous were "baker's cream cakes", which is what supposedly lead her to fear the bread could be poisonous. I had posted in a topic awhile back that those fears about the cream cakes could at least have possibly been well founded in fact.

Inquest testimony Dr. Bowen page 115:

Q. What morning was this?
A. Wednesday morning. I asked her what she had eaten for supper, and she told me. She said she had eaten some baker's white bread, and she had heard of baker's cream cakes being poisonous, and was afraid there was something poisonous in the bread that made her vomit. She said she only ate cake and baker's white bread. At that point she had a sort of eructation of vomiting, slightly. I was afraid she was going to vomit there, I rather got ready for her. I told her to go home, and told her what to take; and she took it.

Allen Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:22 pm Post subject:
I've been doing a little casual research on prussic acid. I've read some sources which were available in the 1890's, and some well before, which state in a nutshell that.."oil of almonds, used by confectioners, contains prussic acid"...

I've found some recipes for cakes and other goodies that use oil of almonds. One article in a medical journal published in 1867 demanded the Legislature should interfere in the sale of oil of bitter almonds due to the fact testing proved it could easily poison or cause death in their lab rats. Most of the articles state that the oil is purified in an attempt to remove the lethal substance.

When the amount was not sufficient to cause death, it still could cause serious illness in the person who ingested it. So should Dr. Bowen have taken Abby's fear about being sick as a result of baker's cream cakes a little more seriously? Even if this wasn't actually the case, and Lizzie was trying to poison them on purpose, her fear was at least in the realm of possibility.

When reading the medical books so far the testing methods for poison such as prussic acid has involved removal of the stomachs, much the same as the Borden stomachs were removed.

What to Do in Cases of Poisoning published in 1884.

Almond Flavour - Spirits of Almonds- Essence of Peach Kernels.

Consists of one part of Essential oil of Almonds and seven of spirits. About the same strength as Prussic Acid, and largely used by cooks for flavoring pastry, blanc mang, & c. Found in every kitchen.

Death from thirty drops ; poisoning in a child from eating tapioca pudding flavoured with it.

For symptoms and treatment, see prussic acid.
-----------------------------------------------------------

A few poisons are discussed in this book.

The Encyclopedia of Household Information: A Compendum of Facts For Easy Reference Which Shall Constitute A Guide to Every Department of Social and Domestic Economy. A Manual for Every Home. Published 1890 by D.R. Ingersoll & Co.

Prussic Acid. Oil of Bitter Almonds, laurel water, cyonide of potassium, etc. , contain prussic acid. It is a deadly poison, and if a large quantity is taken, death takes place instantly, but smaller amounts occassion giddiness, loss of sight and fainting. Prussic acid, is the most deadly poison known. One drop of prussic acid would probably cause instantaneous death. When not instantly fatal, this poison occassions a sudden loss of sense, locked jaw, and difficult and rattling respiration, coldness of the extremities, small pulse, dialation of the pupils, and convulsions. There is a smell of bitter almonds proceeding from the mouth, and in the contents of the stomach, which may aid in forming an opinion on the nature of the case. Diluted water of ammonia is considered the best counter poison which can be used against this acid, otherwise its effects are to be combatted according to the general principles heretofore laid down."

http://books.google.com/books?id=OzSZHq ... #PPA304,M1
I also found this bit of information in Principles of Forensic Medicine written by William Augustus Guy in 1861.

The poison is remarkable for its quick and fatal effect, and this, coupled with the frequent use of the essential oil of almonds in cookery, and of cyanide of potassium in the arts, renders it a favorite instrument of suicide. It has been occassionally used as an instrument of murder.

And here is the link to that topic.

viewtopic.php?p=52644&highlight=cream+cakes#52644
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes, I recall that Abby had mentioned knowing of a case of cream cakes which had "gone off" and made someone ill, -but the point I am making above is that Lizzie does not repeat THAT story, but rather now is making a case for tainted milk. To me, seeing this article (and I will try to squeeze the whole thing in here) on the Dangers of the Milk Can, possibly being read by Lizzie Wednesday afternoon, before she goes to Alice's, makes for a possibility that this article gave her an idea to suggest tainted MILK as the culprit for what had made them all sick. If Alice did not believe someone could deliberately PUT something in the milk on the Borden's stairs because it was light out by 5 a.m and one could be seen., perhaps spoiled milk , tainted by summer heat in a metallic container might be believable. Lizzie repeats this to police as well.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you for going and getting all those ads!

Is it correct to say then that Sargents had ads all week, and if Lizzie did tell Bridget there was a sale at Sargents, it could be she gained the info any day that week, preceding Thursday?
Because I don't see anywhere an ad promoting "8 cents a yard."
(Bridget, p24, Inquest)
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you for going and getting all those ads!

Is it correct to say then that Sargents had ads all week, and if Lizzie did tell Bridget there was a sale at Sargents, it could be she gained the info any day that week, preceding Thursday?
(Bridget, p24, Prelim)
I admit to blended trifocals that I keep tearing off to read better... :wink:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Wow, Shelley, interesting stuff! Thank you for posting these ads for us.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes, Sargent's had been saturating the press with ads, front page every day in the Herald, and daily in the FR Daily Evening News (not on the front page) . The summer clearance, as you can see in the last ad from July 30, was to last one full month. The only time I saw dress yard goods (calico, bedford cord) was Thursday evening though- well after the murders had occurred.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Kat @ Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:19 am wrote:Thank you for going and getting all those ads!

(Bridget, p24, Prelim)
I admit to blended trifocals that I keep tearing off to read better... :wink:
One of the ads posted sez "7 3/4 c". Either Lizzie or Bridget must have rounded up. :grin:
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Kat

Post by Kat »

Found this evening, to add here:

Fall River Weekly News, May 10, 1893
“The Borden Trial”
[partial]. . . “A peculiar circumstance in Bridget Sullivan’s testimony at the preliminary trial in this city has recently been noted by a newspaper reporter. It has been very much in fashion to accept discrepancies in Lizzie Borden’s statements as indisputable evidence of her guilt. Whatever inaccuracies others may have made have gone simply as inaccuracies.

At the preliminary trial, Bridget Sullivan testified that Lizzie told her, in the last conversation with her in the dining room on the forenoon of the day of the tragedy, that ‘there was a sale of dress goods at Sargent’s for eight cents a yard, and I told her I would get one.’ Miss Borden has always insisted that she made no such conversation. According to the advertisements of the News, no such sale had been advertised: but on the 4th of August, in the paper that contained the first story of the awful crime, an advertisement did appear announcing in heavy black letters a special sale of dress goods at Sargent’s at 7 ¾ cents per yard. Lawyers say that this has nothing to do with Bridget Sullivan’s testimony on August 26th: that Lizzie Borden may have predicted an ‘eight cent sale at Sargent’s’ without knowing that such a one was to be advertised by Sergeant’s on the very day that her prediction was made. Nevertheless, it is very singular that the facts are as they are. Bridget may not have read the advertisement and her story may be true and not an unintentional misstatement. The queer coincidences in this unusual case appear to be numberless and never ending.”
Kat

Post by Kat »

Came across this in the Prelim by Bridget. Hope it's not redundant:

Prelim
Bridget
A. I got through with my work, and was in the kitchen. Then she [Lizzie] told me there was a sale of dress goods in Sargent’s, eight cents a yard. I said I would have one. That is all.
Q. Did not she make the statement about the sale of dress goods at Frank Sargeants, if that is the name, two or three days before that?
A. No Sir.
Q. Did she ever tell you about any sale at Sargeants before this particular day?
A. No Sir.
Q. It is the first time she ever mentioned it?
A. Yes Sir.

Page 82

Q. About any chance of buying any?
A. Yes sir. Emma had a good many times told me about bargains.
Q. Miss Lizzie had not before, so far as you recollect?
A. No Sir.
Q. What did you do next?
A. I went up stairs directly after that.

--It sounds like Lizzie's side (Adams) wanted testimony from Bridget that if the conversation took place, it was a couple of days before. The mystery still exists- either Lizzie mentioned a sale or she didn't. Maybe her side was trying to confuse the issue, but it sounds like they want it both ways. What a question to ask!
xyjw

Post by xyjw »

What is meant by "I will have one"? Is this a typical way of speaking in the 19th century? Does she mean she will have 1 yard, one visit to the store? I have always wanted to understand the exact meaning of Bridget saying "I will have one" in response to being told there is a sale on dress goods at Sargents. Is the brief conversation being remembered more because of the peculiar language? It would also be a little odd to buy only 1 yard of fabric, especially in an era when fabric was usually (I think) 36 inches wide and it took a lot of yardage to make most of the clothes at that time.
SallyG

Post by SallyG »

I always took it to mean she would have a dress. A dress would take several yards of fabric, and with a cheap sale, she could get enough yardage to make a dress.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I have always took it to mean that she would go....have her own sale so to speak...."I will have one".
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

Does anyone know if this store is still in existence?
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
xyjw

Post by xyjw »

Both of those sound like good possibilities Sally and Steve. Better than anything I have ever been able to come up with. Thanks for your replies, that part of the case is a real "nag" to me! Snokkums, I don't think Sargents store is there anymore. But I wonder if the former Massachusetts Governor Frank Sargent is a descendant of those Sargents. There are still a lot of Borden case related names in Massachusetts and I believe some are still in state government.
Kat

Post by Kat »

There's a little bit of Sargent's left. Harry has a picture- so does Shelley. Maybe one will put it here again?

As for Bridget saying she would have one- we had a big discussion about what that might mean, somewhere around here! (Sometimes we call things like that *Bridget-speak*). Anyone good at finding things in topics?
Harry

Post by Harry »

Here 'tis. Took this photo when Kat and I made Andrew's last walk.

It's at 162 North Main St. for those interested.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Another view.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Harry

Post by Harry »

Could Bridget have meant one bolt of cloth? Is that enough to make a dress? I have no idea.
Angel

Post by Angel »

How many yards are put on one bolt?
SallyG

Post by SallyG »

Material comes on bolts and the amount needed is measured and cut off. I would imagine Bridget could get quite a few dresses out of a bolt of fabric, but they would all be the same! I can't say for sure how many yards a bolt holds, and I'm sure many types and brands of fabric vary their yardage, but I can say there are quite a few yards on a bolt of cloth.

Bridget would have probably needed from 4 to 6 yards for a dress, perhaps more, depending on the style she chose to make.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I Googled the length of a bolt of cloth and one site said it was 40 yards (120 feet) so I think we can safely eliminate Bridget buying one bolt. Using SallyG's 4 to 6 yards per dress that would make 7 to 10 dresses.

Sargent's closed shop in May 1893. The building was apparently used as a theater, the Bijou, at some time in the early 1900's. It is the small white building shown on this postcard of North Main St. Must have been a small theater!

stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Thanks for posting that card, and information, Harry. I get the "time travel" feeling when I look at it. Seems like only yesterday.
Neglect is a one way street to nowhere
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the pix Har!

I did not know that Sargent's was that small of a building!
For some reason, I thought the rest of the place had been removed- torn down- and that bit was all that was left, and I don't know where I got that impression! Oops! :smile: